Sunday, January 15, 2012

Technique Blog - Original Argyle

Welcome to our Technique Blog Hop! If you are coming from Judy's Blog, you are on the right track!

This blog hop is a great big circle so you can start here and when you get back here, you have seen all the fabulous artwork incorporating this technique. 
 
If you get lost along the way, come back here and visit DEBI BARBER'S BLOG, where you will find a listing of all participants.
 
This month we are highlighting the “Original ArgyleTechnique as shown on page 91 in the Autumn/Winter 2011 Idea Book found in one of the tip boxes. This technique describes how to create your own pattern by stamping shapes in an even or repeating pattern.

Now how to be different, as there will be 'Original Argyle' patterns all along the way -- instead I chose to use a stamp, dry embossing and stitching with embroidery thread to create a repetitive pattern.

I started by dry embossing using my trimmer and scoring blade and scored every 1/2". I sanded the embossed ridges to let the white core show through (love white core paper). 
 
Next using the same stamp set as the example Original Argyle tip found on page 91 of the current Autumn/Winter Idea Book, Party Penants (C1429), I stamped two of the birthday sentiments creating a line (well I try to be straight) in between several of the sanded embossed ridges.
I took my piercing tool and our new ruler (Z1471) and marked the stitches. The ruler has a guide for straight stitches, zig-zag and more. Extremely helpful little tool.

Using embroidery floss in a shade similar to our Olive ink, I stitched along the marked holes from the previous step.

There has to be a little bling and in keeping with that tradition, I added square little sparkles (Z1104).

I added a little scallop circle made from a scrap piece of Elemental pattern paper. A few Milepost pieces and scrap ribbon, complete the card.

Thanks for stopping by! Please continue onto Cherri's Blog where you will find some additional artwork highlighting this technique! 
 
Be sure to leave a comment and let me know what you thought! If you don't have a consultant, and see something you like, click here to go to my website to shop.

5 comments:

  1. Stinkin' cool!! You have much more patience than I do.....stitching by hand...ugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE it! I'm definitely lifting this. Also I like your new header. I need to do something like this too. I'll put it on the to-do list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment, Shirley