Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Close To My Heart Technique Blog Hop - Ghosting

Oh my, how fast it seems time is flying. It is already November and time once again for another Close To My Heart Technique Blog Hop, This month our technique is a spooky sounding "Ghosting", wait it is so easy. You may find an example on page page 45 of the new 2011 Autumn/Winter Idea Book.

Each hopper will share their version of this technique. It is a round, so if you are starting here, keep hopping until you return here. If you have come from Debi's blog, you are on the right path.


Ghosting, well it is like embossing but not. It does take some embossing powder, your craft heater, an iron (yes, dust it off and bring it in the craft room), a towel (I like to use my craft table to iron, so I cover it with a hand towel), your cardstock and stamp set (I used So Grateful, B1395) and let us get ready to ghost.

I am using Dreamin' pattern paper (X7142B), one sheet of pattern paper with a little a 2 3/4" x 2 3/4" piece of Colonial White from my stash.

I cut a card base from the blue polka dot pattern paper at 4 1/4" x 11", creating a top folding 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" card base. I folded it so the Autumn multi-colors would be the card front. I took a piece of blue polka dot (4" x 5 1/4") for the frame piece of the card and added a 3" x  4" Autunm multi-color piece, torn at the bottom (this piece will be portrait on the card).

Now for the technique, I stamped, in Chocolate, the pumpkin shaped words a little ways toward the top of the Colonial White sentiment piece. Leave yourself enough room at the top for the stem and enough at the bottom for the sentiment phrase. Next, I stamped right over the word image, using VersaMark (glue ink) the base pumpkin image and covered it with embossing powder. As an experiment, I did not use clear embossing powder, but a mixture of clear, white, and prisma glitter (what I call my snow mixture).  I shoke off the excess onto a piece of plain copy paper folded in the middle, a tip I learned from Gina K, as you can add the excess embossing powder back into the jar and then toss the paper - no more mixed embossing colors. Okay back on track again. I heated the embossing powder until it melted beautiful and set it aside to let it dry.

Next, step I took a dauber and in a circlular motion I added Goldrush ink around the embossed pumpkin image, followed by Chocolate ink around the outside edges of the sentiment piece.


Ironing time, I took my hot iron (not hot enough to burn the paper) and placed my image on the towel and a scrap piece of cardstock on top of the image piece and began to iron. You may have to change the scrap piece a couple of times. BE CAREFUL NOT TO MOVE THE SCRAP PIECE AROUND AS YOU CAN ADD EMBOSSING TO OTHER PARTS. A little too dramatic, sorry. Your goal, remove the melted embossing from the piece. I was pleasantly surprised that using the embossing powder mixture did come off just like the clear and left a ghosting effect.

Once all the embossing powder has been removed, you have a ghosted effect left.

I assembled the card, added a little metal and the sentiment 'Thanksgiving' and the card was complete.

I hope you enjoyed my version of the 'ghosting' technique, now hop on over to Wendy's blog and check out her great creation. Before you go, please let me know what you thought of my creation by leaving a comment.

5 comments:

  1. Wow Shirley, I love the way you graduated the ink colors around the pumpkin....very nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the card. It makes me want to get that pumpkin stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shirley for adding the card today to the CADB. Your the best! Beautiful card too

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment, Shirley